THE RIGHTS
AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF SOCIAL MEDIA USERS
A ‘right’ is a
privilege that is regulated by Law and ‘responsibility’
is a duty or obligation that is accepted or put into action. So, with these facts, as a social media user
you are protected under Communications Act 2003 and the Protection from
Harassment Act 1997. These legal laws can be used within a business or a personal setting. Cyber-bullying can take place in a workplace between employees but also an employee can also post inappropriate posts about the company too. I think these laws
are not perfectly suited to social media crimes and would benefit users more if
they were updated more specifically for social media because they were drafted
before social media existed.
We all have the right to be protected from social media
crimes like cyber bullying but just as equally we all have a responsibility to
refrain from sending indecent communications to others. Yes we all have a right to freedom of speech
but with social media, do networkers actually have a right to privacy?? We have the right to feel safe and not
threatened whilst using social media, so if your content involves inappropriate
content, then this is a form of cyberbullying and you can be prosecuted under
the above Acts.
2017 User statistic website with interesting facts:
With an estimated 332 Million users of social media
platforms, and In my opinion there are more young people as users, it is
important to teach younger people of the accountability they have when they are
using Faceboook, Instagram etc. If they
are aware of their rights then this can help young people come forward and
report cyber bullying rather than feeling threatened, which can lead to the worst-case
scenario of suicide. Alarming results
from NSPCC show that there were 11,000 calls regarding online issues last
year!! Click on the NSPCC link below which has
great resources for teaching children about online safety.
As a parent of a 12 year old child myself, I cannot stress
to him enough about how to manage settings, be careful about content of his
posts/photos, not add anyone he doesn’t know.
Each child who has this knowledge may be one less suicide statistic in
the future!
KNOW
YOUR RIGHTS AND BE A RESPONSIBLE SOCIAL MEDIA USER
Sharon Foster 26 May
2017

Very clear definition of what rights and responsibilities are what the law is regarding this. I can relate to you having a young son, I also have a young son and feel like I am constantly teaching him about the dangers of being online. I cant believe the figures on how many calls the NSPCC received that shocked me. Very useful links and use of images. Well done Sharon.
ReplyDeleteYes the statistics shocked me too Joe-lee which is a reason why I felt to put them into my blog to show awareness to others. Thank you
ReplyDeleteVery good info graphic sharon! I'm so surprised at the percentages of them all!! I like how you have added in the relevent definitions of what rights and responsibility is, this was a very good extra to add to all the information you provided, Great blog!
ReplyDeleteLoved this Sharon! I like how you've laid it out and how professional it is. I definitely wasn't expecting the percentages to be that high...shocked me a little bit. Loved how you put the rights and responsibilities and the Laws within this.. great job:)!!
ReplyDelete